#16 The Contemporary Art Center – Skopje, in collaboration with the Civil Society Foundation in New York, since 2002/2003, has established an annual award for best young artist in the Republic of Macedonia under 35.
This project is based on lack of such opportunities for artists in Macedonia, the non-existence of such kind of awards, the professional interest by the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Faculty for Fine Arts in Skopje, as well as the need to expose contemporary Macedonian art to a wider audience in Macedonia and abroad. The initiating of this award creates a competitive structure around the award and strengthen discussions among institutions and young artists. We wish to emphasize that the award achieves its purpose by exposing young creativity to a widened circle of public, the offering of new opportunities to participating artists; and by including a number of various fine art institutions and professionals in an annual and impartial process of reflection and decision making.
The process of awarding it consists of several phases:
– Selection of awarded artists
– Group exhibition of the 4 artists in Skopje
– Residency in USA for the First awarded
#17 The method of the selection was divided in two phases:
– Nominations of artists, by renown art critics and artists in Macedonia
– Final selection of the awarded, after the reviewing of the nominations by the Board for the award.
The project is financially supported by:
• Foundation for Civil Society – New York
• City of Skopje
• Foundation Open Society Institute Macedonia
• The Contemporary Art Center – Skopje
Members of the Jury: Dejan Bugjevac, Katerina Bogoeva, Hristina Ivanovska, Boris Petrovski, and Jane Čalovski, have assigned DENES 2008 Award to Ana Ivanovska, for her work Tunnel.